Black Bean Burgers



After making my big pot of beans, I had to figure out what to use them for. I mean, a person can really only eat so many bean tacos. So, off to google I went to search for recipes using black beans. I came upon this black bean burger recipe. I have always been a fan of veggie burgers so figured, why not give it a try. I used my own black beans that I made two days prior and already seasoned with garlic, cumin, onion, salt and pepper so did not add more seasoning to the burgers.  Instead of bread crumbs, I used panko crumbs, as that's all I had.  I took the beans, bread crumbs, egg and pepper and threw it into the food processor.  Then, I poured out the pureed mixture into a bowl and added more black beans to add a bit of texture.  I baked them for way longer than the recipe stated.  They turned out good.  I will for sure be making these again.  Also, what a cheap dinner!!

1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
1/2 onion, cut into wedges
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 egg
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce or hot sauce
1/2 cup bread crumbs

Directions:
1. If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.
2. In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
3. In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
4. In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
5. Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
6. If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swiss Chicken Casserole

Moravian Chicken Pie

Baked Oatmeal