Venison Vegetable Soup


I was in a mood to clear the refrigerator so was in search of a recipe that would use up the rutabagas and parsnips I had in the refrigerator. I did not follow the recipe to a tee but did follow most of it. I did not use the cabbage as I did not have any int he house. I used the entire rutabaga. I used a package of parsnips, oh how I love parsnips. I used beef stock instead of bouillon as I feel the bouillon makes recipes very salty. This turned out to be a hearty minestrone-like soup. Hope you enjoy on one of these cool fall days.

2 pounds ground venison
1 onion, chopped
1 parsnip, sliced
3 potatoes, cubed
3 carrots, sliced
1/2 rutabagas, peeled and cubed
1 (16 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, with liquid
3 cubes beef bouillon cube
3 cups water
1/2 medium head cabbage, coarsely
chopped
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Brown venison and onions in a large pot over medium heat. Mix in onion, parsnip, potatoes, carrots, rutabagas, tomatoes, bouillon, water, cabbage, bay leaf, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 1 to 2 hours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swiss Chicken Casserole

Moravian Chicken Pie

Baked Oatmeal